Happy National Apple Betty or Apple Brown Betty Day!
Apple Brown Betty is a cobbler-like American dessert made from apples, sugar and bread crumbs that is through to date back to colonial times.
There are many recipes for Apple Brown Betty from the simple to the elaborate. Here’s a simple one to try and modify to your liking.
Apple Brown Betty
|4 cups finely chopped apples
||1/2 cup chopped pecans or favorite nuts (optional)
|1 cup brown sugar
||1 teaspoon cinnamon
|1 cup bread crumbs (about 4 pieces of bread)
||2 Tablespoons butter
- Place bread in food processor and process until crumbs are formed.
- Mix together bread crumbs, nuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- In greased baking dish, place a layer of apples. Sprinkle apples with dry mixture and alternate layers until all ingredients are used. Cut butter into pats and place on top.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or cold with cream.