I was pleasantly surprised at how well this turned out. Sweet but not too sweet and tangy but not bitter.
Consider garnishing with lemon slices. I thought it might be too much lemon, so I didn’t. I will try it next time.
Serve with in season quick stir-fried vegetables for a well-rounded, time-saving meal.
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken leg quarters or thighs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 6-oz can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Skin chicken. Combine flour and salt. Coat chicken thoroughly.
- Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil. Drain. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir together lemonade concentrate, nutmeg, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook in high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken. Pour liquid from slow cooker into saucepan. Return chicken to slow cooker to keep warm.
- Skim fat from liquid in saucepan. Blend cold water into cornstarch and stir into the hot liquid in saucepan. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Serve chicken with sauce over hot rice.