I was pleasantly surprised at how well this turned out. Sweet but not too sweet and tangy but not bitter.
Consider garnishing with lemon slices. I thought it might be too much lemon, so I didn’t. I will try it next time.
Serve with in season quick stir-fried vegetables for a well-rounded, time-saving meal.
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken leg quarters or thighs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 6-oz can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Skin chicken. Combine flour and salt. Coat chicken thoroughly.
- Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil. Drain. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir together lemonade concentrate, nutmeg, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook in high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken. Pour liquid from slow cooker into saucepan. Return chicken to slow cooker to keep warm.
- Skim fat from liquid in saucepan. Blend cold water into cornstarch and stir into the hot liquid in saucepan. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Serve chicken with sauce over hot rice.
Christy is a writer, crafter, amateur photographer and enjoys sharing recipes. She also loves pushing buttons in Photoshop until her pictures magically look better.
Always looking for more work, Christy is currently editing her first book, finishing her second, blogging, guest blogging and making a nuisance of herself.