Good served warm or cooled or cold. Rich flavor and great with ice cream. I had a hard time sharing!
Not everyone likes nuts, so I covered half with chopped pecans instead of mixing them in and it was good both ways.
Although I made these around Christmas, the deep golden color reminded me of autumn. I think I’m going to have to make some again in the fall.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 8×8 pan with shortening.
- Melt shortening over low heat and remove from burner. Stir in brown sugar, vanilla and egg.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and spread in pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Cool for five to ten minutes on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- If you have problems with other brownie recipes sticking to the bottom of the pan, try greasing and lightly flouring the pan.