My husband doesn’t care for oatmeal cookies, but he likes these. I don’t know if it’s the chocolate chips or the added flavor from the brown sugar, but I was shocked when he ate more than one! I found a way to get him to eat oats!
Now I just need to find a way to get him to eat bell peppers and celery. Then… I will feel accomplished. Somehow, I don’t think the celery is ever going to happen though.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 to 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Stir together flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Add shortening, egg, milk and vanilla. Stir until well mixed.
- Mix in oats, chocolate chips and raisins if desired.
- Drop dough two inches apart onto greased cookie sheet using a teaspoon.
- Bake for 12 minutes.