This Chex Mix recipe has been passed down through the generations. I don’t know where it originally came from, but my grandmother, mother and I have all made it throughout the years. It makes tons so it’s perfect for parties. I even make a batch to take camping and keep the leftovers in the freezer for movie nights.
I tried making Chex Mix in my 18 quart roaster because I didn’t have a pan big enough to hold all the ingredients, but condensation settled on the lid of the roaster and dripped back into the mix. I was afraid it would get soggy, so I finished it in the oven using the pan from the roaster.
- 1 lb Spanish peanuts
- 1 lb cashews
- 12 oz box Rice Chex
- 12 oz box Corn Chex
- 12 oz box Kix
- 12 oz box Cheerios
- 1 lb bag straight pretzels, broken or mini pretzels
- 1 lb butter
- 3 cups salad oil (I used olive oil)
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 4 teaspoons savory leaf
- 4 teaspoons season-all salt
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- Preheat oven to 250°
- Mix peanuts, cashews, Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Kix, Cheerios and pretzels in 15+ quart pan.
- Melt butter in medium size bowl. Add salad oil, spices and Worcestershire.
- Keep spice mixture well stirred. Spices settle quickly.
- Pour spice mixture over cereal and stir gently.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Stir every 20 minutes.
- Don’t like nuts? Try adding Cheese-Its, Goldfish or other favorite snacks instead. The version in the pictures has Cheese-Its and no nuts.
- Play with adding different ingredients to change it up!
- Sesame Sticks also make a great addition.
- Broken Melba Toast is good, too.
- I left the measurements in teaspoons so it’s easier to cut the recipe in half.
Christy is a writer, crafter, amateur photographer and enjoys sharing recipes. She also loves pushing buttons in Photoshop until her pictures magically look better.
Always looking for more work, Christy is currently editing her first book, finishing her second, blogging, guest blogging and making a nuisance of herself.