Sometimes you just need to get something on the table fast. Now and then, more than that I’m not willing to admit, I get distracted and realize at the last minute that I need to get dinner on quick. When those nights happen, I often make this recipe since I keep most of the ingredients on the shelf or in the freezer.
I don’t always have mushrooms around, but if I happen to have some I use them. You can also use canned mushrooms if you prefer.
Fast but hardy, this versatile dish hits the spot when you’re in a pinch.
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound smoked sausage (or your favorite ring sausage variety), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup green onions, chopped (optional)
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 box scalloped potatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 12 oz bag frozen broccoli
- Melt butter in skillet. Cook sausage, garlic, green onions (optional) and mushrooms (optional) over medium high heat until sausage browns.
- Add water and milk. Heat to boiling.
- Stir in potatoes and sauce mix from boxed scalloped potatoes. Add salsa and mix well.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add frozen broccoli and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes and broccoli are tender.
- Remove from heat and let stand until sauce thickens.
- This dish is great for using up leftover veggies. Instead of broccoli or in addition to, use leftover zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, green beans or anything you think would taste good with sausage and cheese sauce.
- Add a cup of shredded cheddar with the salsa for a more "real" cheese taste.