I love toffee, so I was excited when I ran across this gem hidden in one of my old recipe card boxes.
I’m currently the only one that will eat sweets, so I held off until Christmas and gave away most of bars so I wouldn’t eat the whole thing myself. I’m pretty good at freezing leftovers and eating sweets sparsely, but I wasn’t sure I would be able to help myself with toffee.
I only covered half with nuts so everyone could try it. I decided on pecans and I think they complimented the toffee bars well.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened (butter is better)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, brown sugar, vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour and salt. Mix well.
- Press dough into greased 13x9 pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until very light brown on top.
- Do not allow to cool. Sprinkle chocolate chips on hot crust. Let stand for 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Spread chocolate evenly on crust. Sprinkle with toffee bits and nuts.
- Cool for 30 minutes in pan on wire cooling rack. Cut into bars while still warm.