When I have zucchini and need an easy side for a meal, I like to make this skillet zucchini recipe. It’s especially good as a side for Italian meals, but works with many different entrees.
The original recipe was passed down in my family and has been copied and recopied, modified and remodifed many times. This is my personal modification. It’s a simple side, but sometimes the simple recipes can be the most coveted.
I don’t usually cover the skillet, because the cast iron skillet I use doesn’t have a lid.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Over medium heat, heat olive oil in skillet.
- Add onion and sauté until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover (optional: will make zucchini more tender) and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.