In the spring, as a part of spring cleaning, I make and freeze tons of pasta to save on cooling during the summer. I always freeze several bags with 2 cups of macaroni so I can make this recipe. My little 1.5 quart slow cooker doesn’t heat up the kitchen much, so this gets made often when the temperatures soar.
Consider adding crumbled bacon or ham for a yummy main dish.
Serves 2-4 depending on how much you love macaroni and cheese.
- 2 cups al dente cooked macaroni noodles
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine, melted (or 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil instead)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grease 1.5 quart slow cooker with butter, margarine or olive oil.
- In a lidded bowl, toss cooked macaroni with butter, margarine or olive oil.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 hours.* Stir every 30 minutes.
- *Not all slow cookers heat the same. It's a good idea to check it at 2 hours and see if the cheese has completely melted into a creamy, not stringing, sauce. If you overcook it, the cheese starts clumping together forming little cheese balls.
- You can use any cheese you like. I use a colby and jack mixture most of the time. I've also used Italian blend, Mexican blend, half cheddar and half provolone, but my favorite was sharp smokey cheddar.