I lost my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe, so I thought I’d give these a try. They don’t taste like I remember, but they’re very good. There’s something different about them though. I wish I could find my favorite recipe to compare.
I don’t know why, but they actually taste better when flattened. I tried them both ways thinking that not flattening them might make them softer. Flattened, they were just as soft, but somehow tasted better. Weird.
I added chocolate chips to some and meant to smooth them out to make a frosting, but I forgot. Oops.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 375.
- Combine peanut butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add egg and beat until just blended.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until just blended.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with tines of fork.
- Bake at 375 for 7 to 8 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in chopped peanuts. Press center with teaspoon. Top with 8 chocolate chips. Bake 7 to 8 minutes. Smooth melted chocolate chips with spoon to make Irresistible Peanutty Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Stir in M&M’s and decorate top with more M&M’s to make Irresistible M&M Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in chopped peanuts. Press center with teaspoon. Bake 7 to 8 minutes. Press mini peanut butter cup into depression to make Irresistible Peanut Butter Treasures.
- Stir in 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanut butter chips or 1 cup chocolate chips. Decorate top with more chips to make Irresistible Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies.
Christy is a writer, crafter, amateur photographer and enjoys sharing recipes. She also loves pushing buttons in Photoshop until her pictures magically look better.
Always looking for more work, Christy is currently editing her first book, finishing her second, blogging, guest blogging and making a nuisance of herself.