Good served warm or cooled or cold. Rich flavor and great with ice cream. I had a hard time sharing!
Not everyone likes nuts, so I covered half with chopped pecans instead of mixing them in and it was good both ways.
Although I made these around Christmas, the deep golden color reminded me of autumn. I think I’m going to have to make some again in the fall.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 8×8 pan with shortening.
- Melt shortening over low heat and remove from burner. Stir in brown sugar, vanilla and egg.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and spread in pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Cool for five to ten minutes on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- If you have problems with other brownie recipes sticking to the bottom of the pan, try greasing and lightly flouring the pan.
Christy is a writer, crafter, amateur photographer and enjoys sharing recipes. She also loves pushing buttons in Photoshop until her pictures magically look better.
Always looking for more work, Christy is currently editing her first book, finishing her second, blogging, guest blogging and making a nuisance of herself.