It was delicious, but I actually messed up this recipe. Instead of cutting the bread in half, I left it whole. It still turned out yummy. So yummy that I’m working on variations. Chicken, bacon, broccoli is the first variation I’m going to try and maybe Philly cheese after that. Sloppy Joe’s was also suggested.
I thought without the bread on top that the cheese would brown. We like brown cheese. Sadly, it didn’t. If you leave the bread as one piece and want the cheese to brown, try broiling it for about 10 minutes. I thought about trying it, but we were hungry.
I left the original instructions of cutting the bread in half and added my mistakes in the recipe. I liked the bread being more like a bowl, but I’ll be trying it the way it’s supposed to be in the future.
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can cream of mushroom or cream of onion soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Slice the french bread in half, lengthwise, so you have two equal pieces. Or, you can do what I did and misread the instructions and not cut the bread in half but leave it whole.
- Scoop out the bread in the center of each piece or the center of the entire loaf if you leave the bread whole.
- Place the bread you scooped out in a large bowl and tear into small chunks. Set the two halves of french bread or the one whole piece with the center scooped out onto a large baking sheet.
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain.
- Add garlic to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add soup, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook mixture 5 minutes or until heated.
- Add the beef mixture to the bread in the large bowl. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into the center of one half of the french bread or center of the whole piece. Spread out evenly. Top the mixture with the shredded cheese. Top with the other half of bread or leave open if you didn't cut the bread in half.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.