When I took the first bite of Curried Pork, I wasn’t sure that I was going to like it. The more I ate, the more I liked it. Spicy and just a little sweet, this recipe is a flavorful balance.
If you’ve never tried curry before, this is a good recipe try.
I like it best with smoked pork shoulder. I only cook it for 4 to 5 hours since the smoked pork is already cooked. The smokey flavor adds another dimension to the taste that I really enjoy.
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 3 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chicken Better than Bouillon or granule equivalent
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Apple wedges for garish, if desired
- Brown pork in hot oil. Transfer to slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, apple, curry, paprika, and oregano. Mix bouillon and 1 cup of water. Pour over pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Turn to high. Blend 2 Tablespoons cold water and flour. Stir into pork. Cover and cook until thick, about 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with apple wedges.