I didn’t have any fresh parsley, so instead of the parsley and basil, I added about 1 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning instead. You can find Italian Seasoning with the spices. It’s a pre-mixed variety of herbs commonly used in Italian food. Since I used pressed ham, omitted the salt since ham has such a high salt content. It turned out pretty well. I think next time I might try adding some cream cheese to make the dish a little creamier.
Great recipe for surprise company and brunch with family and friends.
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack, mozzarella, or other favorite cheese
- 1/2 – 1 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup frozen hashbrown potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 8 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine cheeses and put 3 cups in ungreased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- In skillet, saute mushrooms, onions, and potatoes until tender; drain. Place over cheese and top with ham. (If using pressed ham, consider frying in the skillet to remove some of the added liquid before adding to baking dish.) Add remaining cheese.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, flour, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Pour over the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted neat the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.