I lost my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe, so I thought I’d give these a try. They don’t taste like I remember, but they’re very good. There’s something different about them though. I wish I could find my favorite recipe to compare.
I don’t know why, but they actually taste better when flattened. I tried them both ways thinking that not flattening them might make them softer. Flattened, they were just as soft, but somehow tasted better. Weird.
I added chocolate chips to some and meant to smooth them out to make a frosting, but I forgot. Oops.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 375.
- Combine peanut butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add egg and beat until just blended.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until just blended.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with tines of fork.
- Bake at 375 for 7 to 8 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in chopped peanuts. Press center with teaspoon. Top with 8 chocolate chips. Bake 7 to 8 minutes. Smooth melted chocolate chips with spoon to make Irresistible Peanutty Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Stir in M&M’s and decorate top with more M&M’s to make Irresistible M&M Peanut Butter Cookies.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in chopped peanuts. Press center with teaspoon. Bake 7 to 8 minutes. Press mini peanut butter cup into depression to make Irresistible Peanut Butter Treasures.
- Stir in 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanut butter chips or 1 cup chocolate chips. Decorate top with more chips to make Irresistible Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies.